Clarksdale High Baseball Team Makes a Comeback

Tommy Washington, Sports Writer

The 2019 middle school, junior varsity, and varsity baseball teams are looking great for the upcoming season. They have a 5-3 record overall, and 3-2 record in district. This is a vast improvement from previous seasons, where the team often lost by major point margins. This new and improved team is practicing to blow their opponents out of the park.

Last week the team played the Gentry Rams at home. The game began on a sour note as the team was down eight points, but they found a way to come out triumphant. They scored 11 points in one inning, making the final score 12-8. The game against West Bolivar on April 1, 2019, was canceled due to unknown reasons, but it’s a fact that Clarksdale would have beaten West Bolivar in the first inning (some may call this statement extreme bias, but I prefer to call it extreme confidence). The team will travel to Sardis, Mississippi on April 2, 2019, to beat North Panola on their home field.

This year’s team has big dreams. The team has their sights set on becoming district champs. Down the road, they are looking to be state champs, and they have many opportunities to do so because the team is young. The team is made mostly of underclassmen, which means that they have plenty of room to grow as a team. The team consists of only three seniors: Kylon Lampkin, Anfernee Jackson, and Demetric Strong. They have led their team to those glorious victories and are setting great examples for their young teammates. The coaching staff, comprised of former baseball players, is great with the student athletes, and they have brought the baseball program a long way. Coaches Kemp, Cummins, and Mack are looking forward to a great season!